Assistant Director of Strategic Communications (Sports Media Specialist)
Western Michigan University
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Type: Full Time
General Summary: - Oversees the day-to-day communications and media relations for designated NCAA Division I sports. With the ultimate goals of unifying and growing Bronco Athletics brand awareness, increasing fan loyalty/activation and increasing revenues; develop and execute marketing, publicity and sports information efforts (across currently available and emerging channels) that yield positive results toward these stated goals. Serves as the primary communications contact for hockey and other assigned sports.
Major Duties: - Performs and manages media and public relations duties for assigned sports. Ensures appropriate coordination of day-to-day and game day media needs. Ensures appropriate development, editing, production and distribution of informational resources (print and digital) for both the media and public. Ensures timely updating and upgrading of wmubroncos.com and other athletic affiliated web pages and social media platforms.
- Identifies opportunities to create and put to action content/projects/stories (graphics, social media, web, video, etc.) that will positively influence and generate increased involvement in WMU Athletics. Use today's changing and advancing new media technologies to increase stakeholder engagement, ticket sales, sponsorship revenues and donor giving.
- Work alongside Bronco Productions and the WMU Athletics external team to plan, create and execute promotional materials/activities, in-game elements, video board operations and game environment experienced by our fans at athletic events.
- Serves as an on-site manager of in-game event staff for designated games. Ensures consistency of brand messaging elements. Assists to ensure public address, video and in-game entertainment script is well rounded, fulfills obligations, encourages fan interaction and enhances the in-game experience.
- Engages stakeholders to identify and prioritize marketing initiatives. Determines appropriate budget allocations of chosen initiatives. Develops and implements elements of chosen initiatives; ensures a cohesive approach to brand awareness is taken in development of said elements.
- Bachelor's degree in related field from an accredited institution.
- Three year's relevant experience.
- Significant experience working in collegiate athletics communications or professional sports media relations.
- Experience working with administrators, coaches and student-athletes.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work under the pressure of deadlines.
- Social media experience across established and emerging applications.
- Media relations experience in football or ice hockey.
- Ability to utilize various computer platforms.
- Working knowledge of creative software suites and applications.
- Ability to work irregular shifts and extended hours, including weekends and holidays.
The Office of Strategic Communications & Engagement serves as the intermediary between the University's 16 varsity athletic programs and the local, regional and national media. The mission of our office is to enhance the publicity and showcase the accomplishments of all Western Michigan student-athletes on the field, in the classroom and within the community.
The Office of Strategic Communications & Engagement is responsible for maintaining the University Athletic website, wmubroncos.com, and provides video services for the department through Bronco Productions. Additionally, the Strategic Communications & Engagement staff serves as statisticians, historians and provides an expanding range of services to meet the ever-growing needs of the media covering Bronco Athletics and the fans of Western Michigan University.