|Position Title: ||Technical Support Specialist || |
|Location: ||Big Rapids (Main Campus) || |
|Department: || |
54200 - IT Solution Center
|Advertised Salary: ||$48,000 - $51,000 || |
|FLSA: ||Non-Exempt || |
|Temporary/Continuing: ||Continuing || |
|Part-Time/Full-Time: ||Full-Time || |
|Union Group: ||N/A || |
|Term of Position: ||12 Month || |
|At Will/Just Cause: ||Just Cause || |
|Summary of Position: ||Provide service and support to faculty, staff, and student's computing & cellular devices while providing a fresh perspective of support strategies and troubleshooting methods. Utilize different skill sets to diagnose hardware and software related problems on a variety of devices. Ensure that all repair work is performed safely and accurately to improve the longevity and usability of the equipment for the benefit of the university. Work with cellular companies to maximize the university's investment in these services. || |
|Position Type: ||Staff || |
|Required Education: ||High School Diploma or Equivalency || |
|Required Work Experience: ||5 years of work experience in a computer-related support position. || |
|Required Licenses and Certifications: ||A valid driver’s license. CompTIA A+ certification required within 90 days of employment. || |
|Physical Demands: || |
- Office environment
- Electrical Hazards
|Additional Education/Experiences to be Considered: ||Bachelor's Degree in related field. || |
|Essential Duties/Responsibilities: ||1. Provide hardware repair services for university and student owned computing devices which includes warranty replacement when necessary. |
2. Prep computer and other supported device operating systems and load standard and unique software.
3. Facilitate and assist in supporting the computer needs of university faculty, staff and students; including various hardware and software problems.
4. Coordinate the purchase of hardware components for university and student owned computing devices and reconcile expenses appropriately.
5. Research, recommend, and assist in purchasing, upgrading, replacing any computer related equipment/devices, or implementing new technologies.
6. Prepare appropriate documentation for ordering materials and monitor progress of acquisition to completion.
7. Assist in strategic planning for replacing or upgrading computer related devices as well as implementation of new technologies.
8. Facilitate any computer related contractual agreements between the company and the university.
9. Provide documentation for all necessary hardware repair procedures and processes to assist with continuation of work responsibilities and training of student employees.
10. Evaluate university assets for reuse, resale, or disposal to ensure the equipment is used most effectively for the university's needs.
11. Provide real-time market pricing for equipment eligible for sale through IT Services Marketplace web store.
12. Participate in the asset lifecycle management of hardware and software in partnership with the Inventory area.
13. Assist walk-up service desk with hardware and software related incidents and requests affecting faculty, staff, and students.
14. Work closely with IT Cyber Security team on hard drive cloning, drive encryption, and data recovery.
15. Evaluates new computer products for deployment throughout the university.
16. Maintain a parts inventory for repairs, procuring the best purchase price.
17. Initiate repair and maintenance billing ensuring receipt of payment.
18. Administer the procurement, provisioning, transferring, upgrading, terminating, and end of life of all cellular enabled devices for the university.
19. Identifying cell phone problems, running tests, assessing functionality, replacing parts, and maintaining repair records.
20. Facilitate warranty repairs with providers.
21. Work with cellular service providers to support all of the cellular responsibilities above and any escalations.
22. Reports directly to immediate supervisor as assigned. Responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of designated information.
23. Documenting work performed within the IT Service Management System related to Hardware Repair, Cellular Device Support, and other duties as assigned.
24. Any other duties assigned within the position classification area.
25. Demonstrates an understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion, especially in working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community members.
26. Periodically drive to other campuses to provision cellular devices and/or perform hardware repair activities.
|Marginal Duties/Responsibilities: ||Ability to lift, move and relocate computer hardware. || |
|Skills and Abilities: ||To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Any equivalent combination of education, training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be considered. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. |
1. CompTIA A+ certification within the first 90 days.
2. Design, operate, repair and maintain electronic equipment and systems.
3. Installation of hardware components
4. Operate power tools.
5. Select, train, and supervise others in the performance of the characteristic duties.
6. Plan, organize, and make sound judgments and decisions.
7. Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
8. Successfully interact with a variety of staff, faculty, students and public in a variety of situations.
9. Possess a valid driver’s license.
10. Excellent customer service.
1. interact effectively with all levels of organizational personnel and with outside vendors.
2. use excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as analytic, problem solving and research skills.
3. express technical information in a clear and understandable way.
Demonstrate commitment, experience and understanding for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
|Required Documents: || |
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript 1
|Optional Documents: || || |
|Special Instructions to Applicants: || || |
|Initial Application Review Date: ||February 27, 2023 || |
|Open Until Position is Filled?: ||Yes || |
|Posting Close Date: || || |
|EEO Statement: ||Ferris State University, an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, is committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within its community. Ferris offers employment opportunities to qualified candidates seeking careers in a student-focused environment that values opportunity, collaboration, diversity and educational excellence. Learn more about the Ferris Mission and community at ferris.edu. The University actively seeks applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups. For more information on the University’s Policy on Non-Discrimination, visit: Ferris Non-Discrimination Statement. || |
| || || |
| || || |