To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or email@example.com.
Job Description Summary
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is a 12-month full time appointment, reporting to the Assistant Athletic Director - Media Relations. The Associate Director of Athletic Communications, working within the external relations team, primary responsibility is to publicize Michigan Tech Athletics and Recreation and assigned sports. The candidate should be a creative and motivated individual, eager for hands-on experience in the areas of media relations, graphic design, video and digital and social media.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Tell the story of Michigan Tech Athletics and Recreation to multiple internal and external audiences through various means. 2. Assist the Director of Athletic Partnerships & Ticket Sales with the execution of partnership contracts. 3. Develop strong relationships with local, regional, and national media and partners. 4. Create, write, capture, edit, and/or design all collateral material to successfully promote assigned sports: soccer, Nordic skiing, tennis. 5. Assist in execution of Michigan Tech hockey and football home games with the sports information, promotion, and/or production teams. Assist with basketball coverage during football/basketball season overlap. 6. Maintain MichiganTechHuskies.com and MichiganTechRecreation.com through a content management system. 7. Compile statistics and serve as record keeper for assigned sports. 8. Nominate student-athletes for conference, regional, and national awards for assigned sports. 9. Travel with assigned sports (as listed above) to select away from campus events. 10. Maintain and run social media accounts for assigned sports. 11. Film and produce videos (assigned sports) 12. Produce game programs and other publications for assigned sports. 13. Supervise student-led promotions team to engage with Huskies fans during athletic events and promotional activities. 14. Assist in the development of a promotional schedule for home events. 15. Assist with the production of scripts for home events. 16. Produce Huskies Club marketing materials and donor fulfillment supplies. 17. Assist the Director of Athletic Partnerships & Ticket Sales with graphic design needs to fulfill contracts with partners. 18. Work with the external relations team to plan and organize various banquets, luncheons, student work schedules, publication schedules, and other special events. 19. Assist with the promotion of Michigan Tech Recreation, the Outdoor Adventure Program, and Intramural initiatives and events. 20. Encourage continuous improvement practices among employees. Commit to applying continuous improvement strategies to strategic goals and leadership skills. 21. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work. 22. Ensure compliance with all applicable university, state, and federal regulations. 23. Functional supervision may be exercised over clerical support staff, graduate students and student assistants. 24. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives. 25. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
● Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, Communications or related field
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
● Experience working with graphic design and publication software ● Experience with content management systems for the web ● Experience in videography ● Experience with various social media platforms ● Experience crafting, editing and posting press releases
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● Two Years experience working within a Collegiate Athletic Department ● Experience working with statistics software ● Public speaking and/or radio broadcasting experience ● Experience in photography
● Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills ● Excellent organizational and prioritization skills ● Demonstrated willingness and ability to work flexible hours ● Proven experience in the use and development of the World Wide Web and social media ● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty and staff. ● Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Language, Mathematics and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Negotiable. No less than $40,000
Title of Position Supervisor
Assistant Athletic Director - Media Relations
Internal & External
Dependent on Funding
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Please submit work samples for the following: ● Video - Minimum one (1) ● Graphic Design - Minimum three (3)
Michigan Tech is an internationally renowned doctoral research university located in Houghton, MI in Michigan's scenic Upper Peninsula, on the south shore of Lake Superior. The area provides a unique setting where natural beauty, culture, education, and a diversity of residents from around the world come together to share a superb living and learning experience. Michigan Tech is an ADVANCE institution, one of a select group of universities in receipt of NSF funds in support of our commitment to increase diversity and the participation and advancement of women in STEM. Michigan Tech also has a Partner Engagement Program which assists departments with partner orientation to the university and community and identification of possible positions for partners. Michigan Technological University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer/educational institution. Applications from women and minorities are encouraged.
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.