To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or email@example.com.
Job Description Summary
This position will support Merchandising Operations of the Campus Store and University Images in merchandise sales and customer service.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Greet and assist customers, respond to questions, and provide outstanding customer service to a diverse population of customers. 2. Receive and route mail and telephone calls. 3. Operate cash registers, manage financial transactions, and balance cash drawers. 4. Maintain an orderly appearance throughout the sales floor. 5. Assist with all phases of inventory transfer process between stores. 6. Restock inventory as required. 7. Create and update spreadsheets in support of store operations and scheduling. 8. Utilize specialized software in support of inventory maintenance and accuracy. 9. Operate basic office equipment including personal computer, photocopy machine, and calculator. 10. Assist with the development and implementation of product-marketing strategies, including advertising campaigns, sales promotions, and other campus and store-related events. 11. Assist with staffing requirements at both locations. 12. Assist merchandising coordinators with processing inventory, web orders, and customer service requirements. 13. Assist with special projects related to store operations. 14. Open and close store and cash registers using point of sale system. 15. Occasionally work irregular hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays as required. 16. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in university continuous improvement initiatives. 17. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
• One (1) year excellent customer service experience. • One (1) year office/clerical experience. • One (1) year experience using personal computers and basic software packages. • Experience using advanced features of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
• Associates degree • Experience with college merchandising or retail • Strong analytical skills and financial judgment
• Excellent interpersonal, customer service, and written/oral communication skills. • Proven excellent time management and organization skills. • Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team. • Demonstrated ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail. • Demonstrated ability to handle high stress situations. • Demonstrated ability to take initiative to solve problems. • Demonstrated ability to use judgment with dealing with confidential information. • Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
• Demonstrated ability to handle cash and make correct change. • Demonstrated ability to manage, direct, or coach others.
• Demonstrated success in, or potential future contributions to, working with persons from diverse backgrounds, creating a sense of belonging, and fostering a fair, objective, welcoming place to work for persons with a wide variety of personal characteristics and viewpoints.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. Physical demands include sitting, standing or walking, lifting or carrying up to 40 pounds, pushing or pulling, reaching overhead and at or below shoulder level, keyboarding, gross manipulation, stooping, crouching, kneeling, climbing ramps or stairs, speaking, and hearing.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Required Departmental Training:
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Contractual. External candidates will receive the minimum amount ($15.45/hr)
Title of Position Supervisor
Merchandising Operations Manager
Internal and External
Dependent on Funding
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
UAW Posting 10/27/2023 - 11/2/2023 External applicants are encouraged to apply, however internal UAW applicants are given first consideration if they apply during the internal UAW posting dates.
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.